History of Immaculate Heart of Mary

History of Immaculate Heart of Mary

Immaculate Heart of Mary

Immaculate Heart of Mary is a civil parish wich belongs to Funchal municipality.

In the end of the 20th century, there was a huge growth in Funchal, namely along the Ribeira de Santa Luzia and along the Monte railway, which was caused by the settlement along the rural roadways. This, led to the creation of new groups of both residential and leiseure-realated activities (parks and public gardens).

In 1940, there was an improvement in Funchal city. There was profund renovation on this city, wchich resulted in a modernization of its infrastrures (construction of modern and new buildings, hotel chains, new roadways). The person responsible for this modernization was Dr. Fernão Ornelas.

However, with this big change, Immaculate Heart of Mary was one of the emerging parishes around Funchal city.

As though,Immaculate Heart of Mary was elevated to the status of civil parish in 26th November, 1954. By that time, a new and modern church was constructed, by orders of D. António Manuel Ribeiro. However, this magnificent church was only completed 40 years later.


Alojamentos nas proximidades :