History of Câmara de Lobos

History of Câmara de Lobos

Câmara de Lobos was the first place where João Gonçalves Zarco, the navigator who discovered the island, lived between 1420 and 1424.

Due to this, it became the first settlement created in Madeira by João Gonçalves Zarco himself. Câmara de Lobos became a civil parish in 1430.

The fist temple built in the island was Nossa Senhora do Calhau chapel, also called Capela dos Pescadores (Fishermen's Chapel).

On October 4, 1835, the civil parish of Câmara de Lobos became chief town of the municipality, which also included the civil parishes of Estreito de Câmara de Lobos, Curral das Freiras and Campanário.

In 1486, the municipality of Câmara de Lobos became part of the civil parish of Jardim da Serra. It lost, however, the civil parish of Campanário, which became part of the Ribeira Brava municipality.

On August 3, 1996, Câmara de Lobos was elevated to the level of city.

São Sebastião is the patron saint of this civil parish, whose feast is celebrated in Portugal on March 20.

Historic account reveal that the early settlers where people of noble lineages, of whom João Afonso, Zarco’s mate, and João Caldeira can be pointed out.


 


Alojamentos nas proximidades :