History of Fajã da Ovelha

History of Fajã da Ovelha


Fajã da Ovelha, originated from a very old chapel, whose patron saint was São Lourenço. Resembling what happened in the rest of the country, and in the catholic world in general, people started living around the temple, creating with time a populated area.

Just before 1573, Fajã da Ovelha was established, with an autonomous ecclesiastic parish.

The oldest official document concerning this ecclesiastic parish dates back to 1553. In it, reference is made to the church of Fajã da Ovelha, the name by which the place was already known.

In the beginning of the 18th century, Infanta D. Catarina, Princess Regent of the Kingdom, allowed the permission to build a new temple. Historians believe that it was built in the place of the old slope, where the civil parish is located today.

The construction of the parish church did not take place straight away. However, it was finished in mid 18th century. The new temple had São João Baptista as its patron saint.
 


Alojamentos nas proximidades :